29 April 2015
I couldn’t have been more wrong.
Consequently, the front end code I was banging out quickly turned into a hot mess. It all had started so innocently: just a little jQuery typeahead over here, a little jQuery UI calendar over there. An action button that validated the form input and sent it to the server for further processing. Nothing fancy. But fast forward about eight months, and I was dealing with over 300 lines of spaghetti code, everything tightly coupled, and if you changed something on one end, it would break on another.
Unfortunately, due to management somehow consistently firing or losing the most competent senior engineers, there was no one around that I could ask for guidance, either. So I had to help myself. And as it frequently happens when you desperately need help, but you’re not sure what KIND of help, I found the wrong help. It went by the name of CoffeeScript.
function replaced by pointy arrows. Because that was the only way I had gotten it to work with the other libraries I was using.